Sunday, June 5, 2011

Celebrating Women and their Capabilities

By Shurouq Lashkri

Ms. Sally Soubra

Sally Elshihabi Soubra, an attorney at Latham; Watkins LLP, was celebrating the 100th anniversary of International Women’s Day at Beach Rotana Hotel in Abu Dhabi under the title “A Look Forward to the Future” alongside other important personals, stressing that being a working mother is not a obstacle. Ms. Soubra was the moderator of the second panel titled “Distinguishing Yourself as a Leader” in Series of panel discussions on women and the workplace.

When was asked about what risks she took, Ms. Soubra said “the risks I took were not taking no for an answer”. “I graduated school early, I got married early, I had a child early”, explained Ms. Soubra. She also said that working as a lawyer in Latham; Watkins LLP is “distinguishable” in the Middle East “because you are a woman in an American law firm”.

Ms. Soubra continued to explain why she has positive energy saying “I know I can’t be perfect”. “Part of the risk taking that I took was, I got married early and I had children early but it didn’t mean that I wasn’t going to be able to finish what I had to do” continued Ms. Soubra, which shows that women can have a life, and be successful at work.

The Keynote speaker of the event was H.E Najla Al Awadhi, the CEO of Najla Al Awadhi Consulting and former member of the UAE Parliament (Federal National Council), and the event organized 3 panel discussions. Each panel had a moderator who was responsible of introducing panel speakers and asking them questions related to the topic of the panel.

The event was organized and hosted by Mubadala Development Company (Mubadala), Mubadala GE Capital PJSC, and Latham; Watkins LLP.

AUDIO-An Interview with Sally Soubra

No comments:

Post a Comment